There are so many different abbreviations in the medicine sphere. This article is devoted to distinguishing OTC and RX drugs. To be more understandable, we will show the difference between medications, which require prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Over-the-counter and prescription drugs purposes
Enthusiastic shopper will definitely explain that a pair of shoes, produced in local fabric dramatically differs from fashionable handmade Gucci’s shoes. In the same way, Honda Accord owner wishes he/she had Corvette, because it is more presentable and cool. But it doesn’t mean that Gucci and Corvette are much better. If you are going to have a rest on the river’s beach, you will definitely choose inexpensive but comfortable flip-flops. The same situation is with looking for convenient commuter car: agree, it is better to choose Honda Accord than Corvette. As you can see each thing (no matter, car or cloths) is suitable for particular situation).
The types of drugs we are going to compare reminds these cars / shoes, because each of them is profitable in its own way. Over-the-counter medications (also OTC medications) are factory manufactured ready-made medicines. On the contrary, prescription drugs (RX drugs) are more specific medicines, which are prescribed individually in certain cases.
Over-the-counter drugs features
Over-the-counter medications can be freely chosen and bought in a chemist’s shop. A person is not required to obtain prescription, which allow taking the medication. It is just up to diagnose your disease and decide what over-the-counter drug to buy. Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs are manufactured for massive free consumption. There are no restrictions when it comes to buying OTC drugs. Moreover, this type of drugs is considered even more powerful than prescription medications. Besides, versatility of OTC drugs allows several family members to take it, which is very convenient. For instance, Solpadeine is very efficient in fighting with headache, fever and even menstrual pain.
But it doesn’t mean that OTC medicines are totally uncontrolled and there are no rules, which regulates their composition and distribution. OTC medications are the subject to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation. It controls each OTC drug’s ingredients and determine the proper dosages.
You can start treatment with prescription drugs only if you have previously obtained appropriate prescription. For getting prescription, you have to consult with doctor, who will diagnose your ailment and chose appropriate treatment. Prescription drugs are recognized as individual medicines: each drug is aimed at treating particular condition and the same application can not suit all patients’ needs. Only the person, who has been prescribed to take certain RX drug can use it. For instance, a patient, who suffers from quinsy has obtained prescription for antibiotic. His sister has noticed the symptoms of the same disease.
However, taking this antibiotic is very dangerous for his sister’s health and even life.
In addition, prescription medications are being under stricter governmental control. Detailed examination of each drug, which is aimed at proving the efficiency and safety of the drug, is provided by the Food and Drug Administration.
Some types of prescription drugs
- Prescription drugs against pain. When you suffer from horrible pain, you would better take prescription painkillers, which are considered very efficient pain reducers. Such medications are aimed at removing pain of different nature (caused by injuries and even cancer).
- Prescription medications, which treat sleep disorders. Under the act of these drugs the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) (special neurotransmitter), which reduces mind activity and gives the whole relaxation, is increased.
- Prescription drugs against anxiety. Anxiety disorders can be also effectively treated by prescription medications, which target aim is neurotransmitter GABA as well.
- Prescription stimulants. These drugs affect neurons, so that they produce two neurotransmitters (norepinephrine and dopamine). Dopamine makes the brain produce the feeling of goodness. Norepinephrine is a brain substance that is responsible for good memory and concentration.
- Prescription anti ED drugs. These are Viagra, Levitra, Cialis, etc. For instance, you can purchase Viagra online if you have prescription issued by a licensed healthcare professional. Some websites may offer free Viagra samples or good discounts for purchasing this drug without a prescription. Do not get fooled by these offers. Viagra over the counter is not available and is prohibited in most countries.